Mama Elephant Designer Series - Matchbox Builder Cards


Hello friends! I am so happy to be on the Mama Elephant Blog today to share two cards with you that I created using the Matchbox Builder CC. This die set is amazing! I paired it with new products from the April 2021 Release, as well as, an older set that has been calling out to be used. (I was happy to oblige!)

For both cards, I chose images that I wanted to use and stamped them using alcohol friendly ink onto white cardstock. After coloring them with Copic Markers, I die cut them using the coordinating creative cuts. I knew that I wanted to use the scalloped rectangle on the covers and the stitched rectangle to build a scene on the inside of both cards. I die cut two of each from the same white cardstock and masked the edges using Post It Tape to give the look of layering without actually adding any additional layers. 


On the first design, I envisioned a night time scene from down under. I used Tumbled Glass, Peacock Feathers, Blueprint Sketch, and Chipped Sapphire Distress Inks to blend the sky on both rectangles. I then splattered on Copic White to look like stars before removing the Post It Tape. After giving the panels ample time to dry, I heat embossed sentiments from Koala Hugs in white to make them pop off the background.


I was so excited to discover that scene building dies from 3D Pop Up Box CC are the same size as the inside of the matchbox. Yes! I die cut three of the grass/hillside pieces from white cardstock and the fence from a brown woodgrain cardstock. I ink blended the pieces using dye inks. I attached the fence directly to the stitched rectangle. I then glued the hillside to one of the grass pieces and used foam tape to attach this to the main panel. The front grass piece is also adhered with foam tape. This layering really adds so much depth and dimension to the final design while still allowing the matchbox to close properly.

I wanted the inside scene to be able to stand for display purposes. To make this possible, I created an easel by trimming down a piece cardstock to 4 1/2" x 3". I scored the 4 1/2" length at 1/4" and 2 1/4". I adhered the 2 1/4" section to the back of the stitched rectangle and the 1/4" section to the bottom of the drawer section, making sure that the rectangle would fold down into the bottom of the box when it was shut.


For the second card, I had the idea of building a scene featuring a girl and her pet dragon. I pulled out Me and My Dragon and Dragon Wishes from my stash. I fell in love with these sets when they were released but never found the time to use them. Well, I decided it was time to remedy that! 


I love how the girl has her guardian dragon to watch out for her and tried to show the bond that they have in the scenes on the front and the inside. The boy from Me and My Dinosaur is obviously in awe with his expression of wonder. Haha! 

I repeated the same steps as the first card. Instead of splattering the night sky however, I used tiny iridescent stars to add interest to the background. These are my favorite embellishment and really catch the eye as they change color in the light.


I hope that you will give this card style a try. Can you imagine how amazed the recipient will be when they open it up to see what you've created? Thank you so much for spending time with us today and, until next time, stay safe and happy crafting!

Mama Elephant Products Used:


 




Comments

Popular Posts