Lawn Fawn September Blog Post: Schoolhouse Treat Box

Hello and welcome to my blog! I have a fun back to school gift box to share with you all today. I was so inspired by the Build A House card that Grace Camou created for Inspiration Week. I wanted to create some treat boxes for my little one's teachers and I thought that Grace's gorgeous schoolhouse design would be perfect. Click here to see her card. It is fantastic! *I have  a picture and a list of the die cut pieces necessary to create this treat box at the bottom of this post.*

I purchased the Milk Carton Die awhile back and, sadly, I have never used it. I wanted to change that! As I looked at the die, I started to wonder if I could use Grace's schoolhouse with it. Turns out that the Build A House is the same width and almost the same height as the Milk Carton Die! It was meant to be!


I started by die cutting the Milk Carton die twice from Chili Pepper Cardstock and putting it together. (Kelly made a fabulous video for the Lawn Fawn YouTube channel on how to assemble the milk carton. Click here to see it.) I then die cut the siding for the box using the larger siding die from the Scalloped Treat Box Dog House Add On eight (8) times. This will give you sixteen (16) siding pieces. I also die cut two (2) of the siding pieces that are used for the top row, trimmed to 2". I trimmed eight (8) of the pieces to 2" to use on the sides and eight (8) of the pieces to 2 1/16" to use on the front and back of the box. (I wanted the siding pieces on the front and back to overhang the sides slightly.) I used Black Soot Distress Oxide Ink to sponge the edges of the siding to create some depth and dimension on these pieces. It gives the box an almost rustic look that I love!


I die cut two (2) of the top siding pieces and two (2) of the main die from the Build A House Die Set from Fog Cardstock. I then used the My Favorite Things English Brick Wall Stencil with Hickory Smoke and Black Soot Distress Oxide Ink onto the cardstock to create the brick effect. Instead of blending, I used a pouncing motion to give a textured look.   


For the front door, I die cut the door from the Scalloped Treat Box Spring Add On Die Set from Black Licorice and Sunflower Cardstocks. I trimmed the Sunflower door along the embossed fold line  and adhered it to the Black Licorice door. This really makes the door pop on the front of the schoolhouse.

For the windows at the top of the schoolhouse and the front door, I die cut Lawn Fawn Vellum using the window backer die included in the Build A House Die Set. I adhered these to the windows that I die cut from Black Licorice Cardstock using liquid adhesive.

For the sign over the front door, I white heat embossed "School" onto Rainforest Cardstock from the newly released Plan On It: School Stamp Set using Lawn Fawn White Embossing Powder. (This is my all time favorite white embossing powder! It melts beautifully and gives crisp white detail every time.) I then used the smallest banner die from the Extra Sentiments Banner Die Set and lined it up to cut from the front of the sentiment. After the banner was die cut, I repositioned the die cut back inside of the die, lining it up with the back of the sentiment, and die cut it again. This allows you to get the perfect sized banner every time! (I learned this trick from the amazing Kelly Marie Alvarez. 😉)


To cover the small gap at the bottom of the sides of the box, I die cut a piece of Cilantro cardstock using the largest die from the Large Stitched Rectangle Stackables Die Set. I then used the Grassy Border die to create some grass. I then cut the grass into two (2) 2" pieces and attached them to the box.

To close the top of the box, I used a small hole punch and punched a hole in the top of the milk carton. I then threaded a piece of Lawn Fawn Black Tie Lawn Trimmings through the hole and tied a cute little bow. The bottom of the Milk Carton box has tabs that slide together. Even though the top is tied closed, the recipient can still open the box from the bottom and you can still fill it with goodies there as well.


Die Cuts Needed to create Schoolhouse Milk Carton Treat Box:
- Two (2) Milk Carton pieces from Chili Pepper Cardstock
- Two (2) Build A House house pieces from Chili Pepper Cardstock
- Two (2) Build A House house pieces from Fog Cardstock
- Four (4) Build A House windows from Black Licorice Cardstock
- One (1) door from the Scalloped Treat Box Spring Add On Die Set from Black Licorice Cardstock
- One (1) door from the Scalloped Treat Box Spring Add On Die Set from Sunflower Cardstock
- One (1) Build A House door knob from Black Licorice Cardstock
- Sixteen (16) siding pieces from the Scalloped Treat Box Dog House Add On from Chili Pepper Cardstock
- Two (2) top siding pieces from the Scalloped Treat Box Dog House Add On Die Set from Chili Pepper Cardstock 
- Two (2) top siding pieces from the Scalloped Treat Box Dog House Add On Die Set from Fog Cardstock
- Two (2) awning pieces from the Scalloped Treat Box Spring Add On Die Set from Black Licorice Cardstock
- Two (2) Build A House awning pieces from Black Licorice Cardstock
- Five (5) Build A House window backer pieces from Lawn Fawn Vellum
- Two (2) Build A House roof line pieces from Black Licorice Cardstock
- One (1) Build A House steps from Storm Cloud Cardstock
- Four (4) Build A House foundation strips from Narwhal Cardstock
- One (1) Grassy Border cut from Cilantro Cardstock die cut using the largest rectangle from the Large Stitched Rectangle Die Set

I hope that my directions make sense and that you have been inspired during your time here. Thank you for stopping by and I hope that you have a wonderful weekend!



Comments

Popular Posts